I had some rainbow sprinkles/jimmies leftover that I used for a couple recipes a while ago, so I decided to use them, to make these Funfetti Cupcakes. This is a quick and easy cupcake recipe. The cupcakes have a rich vanilla flavour and also Funfetti cupcakes are bright, colourfully and taste great, these cupcakes will be great to give to somebody on their birthday. This recipe makes 12 cupcakes.
For this cupcake, I brought some rainbow sprinkles online as I found the sprinkles from the supermarket are not as bright and colourful when baked into the cake. If you want to use the same sprinkles as me you can get them here!
Here is a picture of the inside of the cupcake.
125g Soften Butter/Baking Spread
125g Caster Sugar
2 x Eggs
1tsp Vanilla Extract
125g Self-raising Flour
½tsp Baking Powder
125g Soften Butter
400g Icing Sugar
1tsp Vanilla Extract
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. In a large mixing bowl add the soften butter/baking spread and caster sugar and mix until the ingredients become paler in colour.
2. Next, add the eggs one a time and mix, this will help to prevent the mixture from curdling. Then add the vanilla extract and mix again.
3. Add the self-raising flour and baking powder and mix until the dry ingredients are fully incorporated.
4. Fold in the rainbow sprinkles/jimmies into the cake mixture.
5. Line a baking tray with 12 cupcake cases. With an ice cream scoop, scoop out the cupcake mixture into the 12 cupcake cases.
6. Smoothen the top of the cupcakes and tap the tray on the work surface. This will help to get a flat top on the cupcakes.
7. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, the cupcake should be golden brown on top and when a skewer is placed through the middle of the cupcake the skewer should come out clean.
8. Leave the cupcakes to cool for 30 minutes. While the cupcakes are cooling make the buttercream. In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter and mix until the butter becomes paler in colour.
9. Next, add the vanilla extract and icing sugar and mix. Slowly add the milk until the buttercream becomes a spreadable consistency.
10. Place the buttercream into a piping bag with a Wilton 1M tip.
11. Pipe a swirl of buttercream on top of the cupcake.
12. Finally to decorate the cupcakes sprinkle some of the rainbow sprinkles/jimmies over the top of the cupcakes.
Here are some other Funfetti recipes you might like to try out!