This is a perfect birthday to make when time is short. The cake and ganache recipes are quick and easy to make. It should take around an hour and a half. This is a great cake to make if you are new into baking, as the cake and the filling are simple to make.
100g Soften Butter/Baking Spread
275g Caster Sugar
3 x Eggs
50g Cocoa Powder
175g Self-raising Flour
6 tbsp Boiling Water
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 x Portion of Chocolate Ganache
3 x Packs of Chocolate Fingers
1 x Bag of Mini Marshmallows
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. Place the soften butter/baking spread and sugar is a large mixing bowl and mx until the mixture becomes paler in colour.
2. While the mixture is mixing add each egg one at a time to prevent the mixture from curdling. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and mix again.
3. Next add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, milk and boiling water. Mix until all of the ingredients are fully incorporated.
4. Next transfer the mixture in two 20cm lined cake tins. Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
5. To check is the cake is cooked place a skewer in the middle of the cake, if the skewer comes out clean, then the cake is baked. Place the cakes on a cooling rack and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
6. Trim the tops of the cake to make a flat top. Place one the cake onto a cake board. Spread half of the chocolate ganache in the middle of the cake.
7. Next place the other cake on top and spread the rest of the chocolate ganache over the top and sides of the cake. This does not have to be neat, as you will not see this once the cake is fully decorated.
8. Place the chocolate fingers around the sides of the cake to create a border.
9. Next place all of the mini marshmallows over the top of the cake.
10. Finally serve the cake.