This is a classic Marry Berry recipe, which was used to test the bakers in the very first episode of The Great British Bake Off. Although it may seem like a simple recipe one major problem that could happen is if the cake sinks in the middle due to, an oven door being opened while the cake is baking.
225g Soften Butter/Stork Baking Spread
225g Caster Sugar
225g Self-raising Flour
4 x Eggs
1 tsp Baking Powder
300ml Double Cream
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4.
2. Line and grease 2 x 20cm cake tins.
3. This is a all in one recipe so add all the cake ingredients into a mixing bowl. Scrape down the side of the bowl and mix again until everything is incorporated.
4. Divide the mixture into the two cake tins and the smooth the surface of the cake. Bake the cake for 20 minutes.
5. To check if the cake is baked place a skewer or a toothpick through the cake to see if it comes out clean. If so then remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
6. Whip the double cream until soft peaks and place into a piping bag with a star tip. Place one cake onto a serving plate.
7. Pipe a border of cream around the cake and then add the strawberry jam in the middle. Then pipe some more cream on top of the jam (see the picture below to see the assembling process).
8. Place the other cake on top and then sprinkle some icing sugar on top. Then serve the cake.