The Great British Bake Off starts today and the bakers first signature challenge is drizzle cakes. So I have decided to show you my orange and passion fruit drizzle cake. This is a nice variation over the classic lemon drizzle cake. Passion fruit and orange is one of my favourite flavour combinations. The passion fruit drizzle will add more moisture to the cake and will also create a crunchy topping for the cake. Also the drizzle gives an instant hit of passion fruit flavour. You will need around 6 passion fruits for this recipe.
175g Soften Butter/Baking Spread
175g Caster Sugar
3 x Eggs
50ml Passion Fruit Juice
1 tsp Baking Powder
Zest of 2 Oranges
Juice of 1 Orange
200g Self-raising Flour
100 ml Passion Fruit Juice
100g Granulated Sugar
50g Icing Sugar
1. To extract the juice the juice from the passion fruit, cut the passion fruits in half and scoop out the pulp and place into a food processor. Pulse the passion fruits for 2-4 minutes. I find that using a food processor helps to get more juice out of the passion fruits. Then size the mixture into a jug and set aside for later. You should get around 150-180 ml of juice from 6 passion fruits.
2. Pre heat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. In a large mixing bowl mix together the soften butter and caster sugar using a stand mixer until the mixture starts to become paler in colour.
3. Next slowly add the eggs one at time; this will prevent the mixture from curdling. Of the mixture does curdle, add a tablespoon of the flour and this should fix the problem.
4. Add the self-raising flour, passion fruit juice, baking powder, orange zest and orange juice. Mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated. Do not over mix as this will create a “tough” cake.
5. Transfer the cake batter in a lined loaf tin and smoothen the top. Place the loaf cake into the oven and bake for 30-40 minutes.
6. Once the cake is a golden brown take the cake out of the oven. To test if the cake is cooked, pierce the cake with a skewer. If the skewer comes out clean, then the cake is cooked. Leave to cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
7. When the cake has cooled, remove the cake from the tin. To make the drizzle, mix together the passion fruit juice and granulated sugar. Spoon the drizzle over the cake.
8. To decorate the cake mix the icing sugar and water together to make a thick icing. Place the icing in a piping bag and drizzle over the cake. Scatter some orange zest over the cake to decorate it.