A lot of Nutella was used to make these cupcakes. This recipe uses a rich chocolate cupcake, filled in the middle with Nutella and then topped off with Nutella buttercream. This recipe will make 16 Nutella stuffed cupcakes. Recipe adapted from http://bit.ly/2r3M1dU
180g Soften Butter/Baking Spread
180g Caster Sugar
3 x Eggs
120g Self-raising Flour
40g Cocoa Powder
4tbsp Boiling Water
1tsp Baking Powder
40ml Double Cream
20g Roasted Blanched Hazelnuts (chopped)
Here is a cross section of the cupcake, you can see the Nutella filling!
1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter/baking spread and caster sugar. Mix the ingredients until they become paler in colour.
2. Next, add the eggs one at a time; this will help to prevent the mixture from curdling.
3. Add the self-raising flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and boiling water and mix until all of the ingredients are incorporated evenly.
4. With an ice cream scoop divide the cupcake batter into the cupcake cases. Then place the cupcakes into the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
5. To tell if the cupcakes are fully baked, using a toothpick or a skewer and place it in the middle of the cake. If the toothpick or skewer comes out clean it means the cake is baked.
6. While the cupcakes are cooling, make the Nutella buttercream. In a large mixing bowl add the softened butter and mix until the butter becomes paler in colour. Then add the icing sugar and mix again.
7. Add the Nutella and mix until all of the Nutella has been distributed throughout the buttercream. Slowly add the milk and mix again until you get a spreadable consistency. Transfer the buttercream into a piping bag with a Wilton 2A tip.
8. To make the Nutella ganache, heat the double cream until it starts to simmer and then pour the double cream over the Nutella. Then mix the ingredients until they are incorporated. Next, transfer the Nutella ganache into a squeeze bottle; this will help you to drizzle the Nutella over the cupcakes.
9. Once the cupcakes are cool use a cupcake corer/piping tip to remove the middle of the cupcake. Heat up the Nutella in a microwave until the Nutella becomes a spreadable consistency, and then pour into a piping bag. Pipe the Nutella into the center of the cupcakes.
10. Pipe a swirl of the Nutella buttercream over the top of the cupcake.
11. With the squeeze bottle drizzle the Nutella ganache over the top of the cupcakes.
12. Finally, sprinkle the chopped roasted hazelnuts over the top of the cupcakes.
Here are some other Nutella recipes you might want to try out!