With Christmas fast approaching, here is quick and tasty cupcake recipe for you to try over the holidays. These cupcakes are flavoured with gingerbread spices and gingerbread syrup and are topped off with a brown sugar and gingerbread buttercream. This recipe will make 24 cupcakes.
225g Softened Baking Spread/Butter
125g Caster Sugar
100g Soft Brown Sugar
4 x Eggs
225g Self-Raising Flour
1 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tbsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground All Spice
¼ Tsp Ground Nutmeg
50ml Gingerbread Syrup
Brown Sugar Gingerbread Buttercream:
125g Soften Butter
400g Icing Sugar
1 ½ Tsp Ground Ginger
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
100ml Gingerbread Syrup
2-4 Tbsp Milk
1. Pre heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas Mark 4. In a large mixing bowl place softened butter/baking spread, caster sugar and soft brown sugar. Mix the ingredients until they become paler in colour.
2. Next add the eggs one at a time (this will prevent the mixture from curdling).
3. Add the self-raising flour, baking powder, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground all spice, ground nutmeg and gingerbread syrup. Mix the ingredients until they are evenly incorporated.
5. Bake the gingerbread cupcakes for 12-15 minutes. The gingerbread cupcakes should be a nice golden brown colour.
6. Leave the gingerbread cupcakes to cool on a wire rack. While the gingerbread cupcakes are cooling make the brown sugar gingerbread buttercream. Place the softened butter in a large mixing bowl and mix until the butter becomes paler in colour.
7. Sieve the icing sugar, soft brown sugar, ground ginger, ground cinnamon, ground nutmeg and gingerbread syrup. This is an important step as if they are any lumps in the buttercream it will clog the piping tip. Mix until all the ingredients have been incorporated and become a spreadable consistency. If the buttercream is not spreadable a bit of the milk slowly until you get a spreadable consistency.
8. Transfer the brown sugar gingerbread buttercream into a piping bag fitted with a Wilton 2D Piping Tip.
9. Next pipe rosettes of the brown sugar gingerbread buttercream on top of the gingerbread cupcakes.
10. Finally to decorate, sprinkle the gingerbread sprinkles over the gingerbread cupcakes.