This is my take on muffins, I wanted to use the flavours from a Bakewell Tart (almonds and raspberry) and use them in a muffin. The muffin mixture has ground almonds and almond essence, which gives the muffins marzipan-like taste. I also hollowed out the muffins and add some (homemade) raspberry jam to add extra flavour. Then to decorate these muffins I drizzled some water icing and sprinkled some toasted flaked almonds on top of the Bakewell Muffins.
1. Preheat the oven to 190C/375F/Gas Mark 5. In a large jug add the milk, eggs, sunflower oil and almond essence and mix.
2. Put the glacé cherries in quarters and then wash the cherries under a tap to remove the syrup. Then pat dry the cherries using a kitchen paper.
3. In a large mixing bowl add the self-raising flour, ground almonds, caster sugar and baking powder.
4. While mixing slowly pour the liquid ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix until all of the ingredients have been fully incorporated.
5. Place the cut up glacé cherries in a bowl and then add the tablespoon of self-raising flour. Mix the flour into the cherries so that they are covered in flour, this will stop the cherries from sinking in the Bakewell Muffin mixture.
6. Next, fold in the cherries until they have been evenly distributed throughout the Bakewell Muffin mixture.
8. Once the Bakewell Muffins are golden brown remove them from the oven and leave the Bakewell Muffins to cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes.
9. While the Bakewell Muffins are cool, toast the flaked almonds in a pan on a medium heat until they are golden brown. Once the flaked almonds have turned golden brown remove them from the pan, this will prevent them from cooking even more.
10. Next using a Cupcake Corer, remove the centers of the Bakewell Muffins and fill with raspberry jam. Then place the remains of the Bakewell Muffins on top of the jam.
11. Place the icing sugar in a mixing bowl and add 1 tablespoon of water. Mix until you get a thick icing (you may need to add more water). Transfer the icing into a Piping Bag and drizzle the icing over the Bakewell Muffins.
12. Finally, sprinkle the toasted flaked almonds over the top of the Bakewell Muffins.