This type of buttercream is lighter than the standard buttercream recipe, as the meringue provides air bubbles in the buttercream. Just like other buttercream recipes chocolate, lemon zest, crushed oreos or coffee.
Swiss Meringue Buttercream:
280g Caster Sugars
340g Soften Butter
4 x Egg Whites
3 tsp Vanilla Essence/Paste
1. Place a pan of water over the hob and heat till the water simmers. In a large heat proof mixing bowl add the egg whites and sugar.
2. Heat the mixture to 45C/115F and keep on mixing until the sugar is dissolved. To test if the sugar has dissolved place some of the mixture between your thumb and index finger. If you feel no gains that means the sugar has been dissolved.
3. Whisk the mixture on a medium to high speed until the meringue reaches stiff peaks and the bowl begins to cool down.
4. While the mixture is mixing slowly add the very soften butter into the mixture. You may notice that the mixture deflates slightly do not worry about this.
5. Next add the vanilla essence/paste, carry on mixing the buttercream until all the butter has been incorporated completely. The buttercream is ready to be used.