When I visited New York last summer, I found probably best cookie shop ever. It is called Schmackary’s, they had the biggest variety of cookies available at their store and each day the shop has a different of selection of cookies on offer, so there is something different everyday to try!
Since I can not get cookies like this in the UK, I have decide to make by own. One of my favourites was the funfetti cookie; it is a simple cookie with a rich vanilla flavour and with a chewy center. It is kind of like a birthday cake but in the form of a cookie! This recipe is the closest thing I could make that is similar to the cookies found at Schmackary’s.
1. Place the butter in a pan and heat until all of the butter has melted. Or you can melt the butter in a microwave.
2. In a large mixing bowl add the soft brown sugar, granulated sugar and the melted butter. Mix the ingredients for 2 minutes, until they are all fully combined.
3. Next add the egg and the vanilla extract and mix again for 2 minutes.
4. Add the plain flour, bicarbonate soda/baking soda and corn flour and mix for 5 minutes. By mixing the cookie dough for a bit longer, it will develop the gluten in the dough, helping to make a chewier cookie.
5. Finally fold in the rainbow sprinkles using a rubber spatula until all of the sprinkles are evenly distributed throughout the cookie dough. Cover the bowl in cling film and chill the dough for 40 minutes.
6. Pre heat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4. Line a baking tray with baking parchment.
7. Remove the chilled dough from the fridge. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out 5 balls of cookie dough and place on the baking tray. Slightly press down the dough balls. By using an ice cream it will make 5 equal portions of cookie dough. They are also useful when making cupcakes. If you do not have one you can get an ice cream scoop from here:
8. Bake the cookies for 10 minutes. When the cookies have baked for 5 minutes turn the tray around to help even bake all of the cookies.
9. Once baked, remove the cookies from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
10. Spread some of the vanilla buttercream on to the cooled cookies, using an off set spatula. Then add scatter the rainbow sprinkles over the buttercream.
Here are some similar recipes!